Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Passing.

Peter Jennings, rest in peace.

Peter Jennings could tell a story, calm as the eye of a hurricane, witty as John Cleese, insightful as the Buddha, while the world, and his newsroom, undulated and contorted around him. That's genius, folks, and whether you agree with his version of any narrative or no, you should at least agree that genius of his kind is a rare commodity in this world. Peter Jennings was a prodigy, witty and photogenic, eloquent and puissant, a man with natural and acquired gifts so overpowering that he ruled the air for decades, dispensing his charisma as if it were penny-candy, speaking his news as if it were the very truth of God itself.

A man, a single Canadian-born man, told me things with wit and candor for many years for ABC television. I will miss his stories. You may tell me that they're all lies, and we can debate that another day, but you can't tell me that his stories weren't polished and magnificent. He was, as the most enduring and important writer in the English language described someone like him, a man, take him for all in all--we shall not see his like again.

I am saddened by his passing.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jason said...

I also grew up watching Mssr. Jennings (which isn't surprising considering it was in the same house as EJ). I share in your lamentation at his passing.

Wed Aug 10, 09:12:00 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Peter Jennings was my first celebrity crush. That makes me A)a huge nerd and B) heartbroken at his passing.

Wed Aug 10, 11:25:00 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

He was my favorite newscaster, for the simple reason (as I mentioned on someone else's blog) that I never felt like he was performing, but instead reporting. He realized the focus should not be on himself, but on that which he was conveying to us. His calm, serene, professional demeanor I doubt I'll see again from national newscasts.

Wed Aug 10, 01:33:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Nightcrawler said...

I agree with you EJ. Unlike many anchors, Jennings did not appear to be the self-aggrandizing type that was only concerned about his "face time". He was one of the greats and I doubt we will see another of his caliber in our lifetimes.

Wed Aug 10, 08:03:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home