Thursday, August 18, 2005

R.I.P. Scotty.

James Doohan (1920-2005), sleep well. As Montgomery Scott on Star Trek, the Canadian Doohan put on a fine Highland trill, treating us to inimitable deleveries like, "Ahem gevin 'edr ell she's gah, Ceptin," from his constantly embattled seat in the ship's engine room. He didn't much care for the fact that he would spend his entire acting career typecast by the role, but that didn't stop him from sucking it up and making a nice living from four seasons of television and seven movies as Scotty.

He gave 'er all she had in real life, too, fathering his last child at age 80. Watching his reruns on TV growing up was a pleasure I still remember, and so, while happy that his long battle with Alzheimer's is at an end, think that perhaps the world should slow to warp factor four, just for a day, in his remembrance.

1 Comments:

Blogger Nightcrawler said...

EJ, my apologies for being absent these last few days. I just wasn't in the mood to do a whole lot of reading but now that I'm back, I'd like to say that you've put out some quality work in my absence. I read the last few posts and while I don't necessarily agree with everything you said in one of your posts, I like the way that you framed your argument. Great work!

Fri Aug 19, 09:20:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home