Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Yes, Still More About Me.

The Wicked Vague has meme-tagged me, and so now I must tell all of you things about which you doubtless had an unslakeable curiosity, before tagging some of you in return. Yes, that was meant to sound tawdry.

Seven movies I have loved (in no particular order):

1. Dr. Strangelove: This is not a bold choice, but neither is it a poor one. It's hard to go wrong with Kubrick.
2. Memento. Enthrallingly original.
3. The Empire Strikes Back: Yeah, that's right. And I'm not even going to apologize.
4. Ran. Still the standard for Shakespeare adaptation.
5. Being John Malkovich. That flick was whack, yo.
6. Pi, the best utterly-low-budget flick I've seen. Hollywood should really corrupt that Aronofsky boy (and yes, I'm sure I spelled that wrong) and be done with it.
7. True Romance, director's cut. Best. Supporting cast. Ever.

Seven books I like:

I here simply regurgitate Vague's idea: Why should we love movies but only like books? Where is the meme authority that I must sue to in opposition to this phrasing?

1. Grendel by John Gardner: the smartest, funniest reimagination of an old story ever penned.
2. The Bhagavad Gita translated and edited by Eakneth Eswaran. So much shorter than the Bible. So much less daft than Leviticus.
3. The Tragedie of Tragedies by Henry Fielding. Funniest drama in the English language.
4. A Farewell to Arms by Ernest Hemmingway. Make fun of my simple choice; Hemmingway rules.
5. Small Gods by Terry Pratchett. I'm sorry, Douglas Adams, but he's just better than you.
6. The Revenger's Tragedy probably by Thomas Middleton. 'Cuz there were other guys that wrote stuff besides Will, you know.
7. One-Dimensional Man by Herbert Marcuse. I need one philosophy book to sound reel smarte.

Seven things I say:

I'm not really sure I listen to myself well enough to list this, but:

1. Pigfucker.
2. You've got to be kidding me.
3. What up dawg/bytch/homey/g/(insert affected ebonicism of choice).
4. Well, you gotta do something with your time.
5. Did I talk to you last night?
6. Well, aside from that...
7. Um, this paper has some things we need to work on.

Seven things that attract me to a city:

1. A large body of water. Of late, I prefer salt water.
2. Less than six inches of annual snowfall.
3. Some kind of ethnic dining scene.
4. At least one four year university.
5. I can afford to live there without charging my rent.
6. (Stolen from Vague) Smoking and drinking still allowed.
7. Is not in Darfur.

Seven things to do before I die:

1. Quit smoking.
2. Visit China.
3. Donate an enormous sum to charity.
4. Drive an exotic car (it doesn't have to be mine).
5. Live on a houseboat.
6. See a tornado.
7. Impersonate a police officer.

Seven things I can't do:

1. Whistle.
2. Blow bubbles.
3. Snap my fingers.
4. Dance.
5. Get up early.
6. Drink Bud Lite.
7. Appreciate modern country or R&B.

Seven people to tag:

1. Chad
2. Claudia
3. Brian
4. Natalie
5. 'Zilla
6. Jason
7. Sarah

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Hemingway rules," eh? Did you steal that from one of my students? (But, yeah, he so totally does rule!)

Also ruling: Memento and Pi and Ran.

And: what are your plans for this impersonating an officer thing? The internet must know!

Thu Feb 02, 05:04:00 PM EST  
Blogger JPS said...

Kris,

Hey stranger, whaddup? I'm glad you enjoy judicious use of "pigfucker" as well. It's an underutilized word. Fucker? So lame and overdone. Goat/sheep fucker? So 19th century. Pigfucker is where it's at, in terms of the entire art form.

Sarah,

Such an inappropriate use of pigfucker. Meme-tagging you at best makes me a rat bastard. In order to be a pigfucker, I'd have to tell on you to your husband.

Vague,

You just keep on wondering.

Thu Feb 02, 10:03:00 PM EST  
Blogger Nightcrawler said...

I've seen a tornado from a much closer range than was probably safe. Intense. That's about the only way to describe it. Awesome... such a display of raw power.

If you go to central Oklahoma in late May and stay until the end of July, you will not be disappointed. You may have to do a little driving but that's part of the fun.

I can tell you how to read dry lines and dew points if you like. They are instrumental in tracking them down.

Sat Feb 11, 01:49:00 AM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home