Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Tropical Thanksgiving

So, perhaps this aside will be yet further incontrovertible evidence that I am a Yankee, with all such ill-mannered and cold-weathered associations that such entails, but can anyone point out any good and sensible reason that the high today was 81 degrees Farenheit an freakin' November ninth? I am thoroughly accunstomed to all insects being deceased at this point in the season, yet instead I have been compelled to buy a screen so that 19 different species of them do not invade my open front door each night. Insects are not supposed to be alive on November ninth, and I am not supposed to require my front door to be opened because it's too damned hot in my apartment. I must retreat north across the Mason-Dixon line, and soon, before I start getting fool ideas about never dealing with the abhorrent wretchedness that is snow ever again.

Oh yes, and people in Southeastern North Carolina tell me--really folks, they do--about how cold it is every time the thermometer dips a shade below forty. They all need to be interned in the Great Lakes region for one, just one, Winter, and we will see if that criticism is ever uttered again in a place in which half the trees never bother to change color. Well, assuming that that the Confederates survive the experience, that is. You Southern folk and your cold. Bah! I scoff at thee, December-hoodie-wearers. You would not know Winter should he--ah, never mind, y'all just don't know what Winter is. Come with me to Cleveland for Christmas, my children, and I will show you Winter, oh scarfless and earmuffless Carolinians. And you will tremble in fear and, oh yeah, cuz' it's ten below.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hilarious! I love being in the Carolinas in winter (and Florida, whenever I get a chance). Who doesn't love a 75 degree Christmas?! (And I am saying this as a southerner who has spent a winter in Minnesota.)

But at the same time, I also miss snow (which we don't get either, where I currently live). I think I like hot and cold weather both better than the 40-60 degree no-man's-land that is Zembla nine months a year.

Thu Nov 10, 03:18:00 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man, I left a great comment here and I guess I "previewed" it and didn't publish it. Never again will I reach the height of profound wit and sensitive insight which I achieved in that comment, now lost to the world. That transitory, enchanted moment is gone.

Thu Nov 10, 03:54:00 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the blog. Please change the font. Hard to read.

Sounds like I'm in a hurry doesn't it?

Thu Nov 10, 07:11:00 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember my first year up here in Northern New Hampshire. I thought Rhode Island was cold. Not until I experienced the days on end of 20-below did a realize how quickly exposed skin tingles and grows numb, and snots freeze in your nose instantly upon stepping outside, even when you thought your nose was dry.

And I love it.

Thu Nov 10, 08:26:00 PM EST  
Blogger Mama Moose said...

Oh this is so true! It was 90 degrees for my birthday in September and I don't even live as far south as you. And, I wore sandals this week -- in contrast to the tinsel christmas trees put up in grocery store parking lots up already, it's quite mixed up.

Fri Nov 11, 01:46:00 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good news Evil Jeremy - snow predicted for this week!

Mon Nov 14, 08:13:00 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home