Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Positivity.

Late, as nearly always, I step into my English 501 seminar for the first day. There are only two seats left surrounding the collection of folding tables bunched together, surrounded by office chairs in the Knights of the Round Table kind of setting the grad courses all use.

I take the one directly to the left of where Dr. Walker is going to sit. While this once would have been intimidating, I’ve been rather relaxed of late. There’s the added bonus that this is my third class with the guy, and the fact that I, half the faculty, and most of the English grads got roaring drunk with him on Friday night at the “welcome, new grads” party he holds annually at his house.

Two seats to the left of me is Jessica, the gorgeous new feminist theory student who I saw at the party, perpetually surrounded by nine guys hitting on her at once. Homey don’t play that, so I stayed out of the feeding frenzy. If there is meant to be a time, I think, there will be a time. I just look over at her and offer a smile.

We move class over to the library, where we’re to be instructed on how to use the electronic informational sources. I make pleasant small talk with Jess on the way over. I already know all of this library stuff, of course, because I had to do all of it last Spring, when I started here, with no instructional course at all. I learned by screwing things up and cursing until I figured matters out for myself, a hard but effective method of learning.

I begin to zone out from boredom, thinking instead about this delightful young woman next to me. She’s from a tiny little college, and is a little intimidated by the bigness of this place, the huge library and sprawling campus. Perspective is a funny thing, because coming from a 50,000 undergrad population like Ohio State to here, I was taken aback by how quaint and personal everything seemed. Objects on the ground look small, hanging from the Buckeye tree.

As the lecture winds down, a tiny kindness pops into my head. “Would you like a tour of the library,” I ask Jess, wishing someone had done that for me.

“Sure,” she says, with a look of pleasant surprise. Most people, I am beginning to conclude, don’t say things like this. I didn’t until rather recently.

So we tour the huge two floors of William Randall Library, going through the alphabetized journals she’ll need to use so often, the reference, the café—upstairs, through the sprawling stacks, seeing sections of the floor that I’ve never seen before because I had no cause to see them, seeing study rooms along the periphery I never knew existed. When we’re through, we keep talking, and so I suggest we do so outside, not to bother the people trying to study in quiet. We find a park bench and then, when it begins to rain, sit under a stone awning to wait it out. We’re talking about serious things, like God and physics and anthropology, and not-serious things, like Irish dive bars and singing drunk. She laughs at something that I say, leaning over and touching my arm lightly. This is, from everything I’ve read, a Good Sign.

“What are you doing Thursday,” she interjects. Those stereotype-busting feminist girls, I tell you.

“Nothing. You want to hang out?”

“Well, I was wondering if you wanted to sit in on the class I’m a T.A. for.” My heart sinks, just a little. “But I’d like to hang out, too.” My tail perks up slightly.

She’s late for dinner and I’m late for class, so she scribbles down her number before I can even ask, hands it to me with a coy smile and hurries off. A very smart, pleasant, beautiful 22-year-old woman has invited my company, all because I took a moment to do something legitimately nice, without the sleazy taint of ulterior motive. I remind myself to do this more often.

As Sri Krishna, the disguised Lord Vishnu driving a chariot, said to his passenger Arjuna, “Focus your mind in the Lord, free from selfishness and I will give you the thing you desire.” Vishnu has been good to me today.

7 Comments:

Blogger Nightcrawler said...

Best of luck to you bro, just watch being TOO nice. She may think that you're gay or worse, you may end up in the friend zone. Gotta avoid that.

Wed Aug 24, 01:54:00 AM EDT  
Blogger JPS said...

NC, guys end up in the friend zone not because they're too nice, as they believe in their well o' self-pity, but because they lack assertiveness based on their lack of confidence. If you can be nice and confident and assertive at the same time, I'm firmly of the belief that women respond to it. Again, niceness is not the issue for guys with just-a-friend syndrome, IMHO; passivity and timidity are.

Ladies, any feedback?

Wed Aug 24, 03:07:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who are you, and what have you done with my brother? What's up with all the deep insight and profound truths?
You are right about nice guys, in my humble female opinion. Although, it may not always be true, as there are few hard and fast rules for why one relationship might take off while another doesn't. All I can tell you is I've never, ever heard a girl say "I can't go out with him, he's too nice" but I have had lots of girls say "I'd never date him, he's such a jerk (or insert choice expletive here)". And I know lots and lots of women who have gone out with men, even if only once or twice, just because the guy asked them. In fact, I started dating my husband just because he asked me to play frisbee, not because I thought he was nice, mean, attractive or anything else, but just because he asked. Good luck!

Wed Aug 24, 05:26:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice and a pushover are two different things. That said, I had a post recently about being nice to people sporadically. It looks like you and I have been on the same wavelength, and it's paid off rather nicely for you in the company you'll enjoy soon - if she's nice, that is.

Wed Aug 24, 08:19:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Nightcrawler said...

Actually, the "nice" comment was made a bit tongue-in-cheek. I was just ribbing you a little there but I'm glad it sparked a bit of a discussion. You were right, nice isn't a turn-off but a lack of confidence is. Get 'er done EJ!

Thu Aug 25, 12:38:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Jason said...

22 year old college grrrlz. Hot. Stop thinking so much, and enjoy it while it lasts. As George Harrison put it, all things must pass - including your graduate school experience - live it up. Someday you'll have a real job and will have to resort to creepy, strange ways to meet gyrls like that...not that I know anyone who takes college courses just to be exposed to 22 year olds.

Fri Aug 26, 09:34:00 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I usually say that somebody is "nice" when I'm trying not to say what I really mean, which is either, inept, stupid, incompetent, or boring. I've dated several nice guys and I ususally broke their nice little hearts for "bad boys." Oh, so typical, right. Well, here's what the "nice" guys didn't have: sex appeal, gusto, a bit of cocky attitude, edge, rugged, wild, whatever...
You have to find a balance between nice and naughty - really, I'm being serious.
btw - I'm so proud of you for giving her the library tour. If it were me, you would have had me there - librarians do it in the stacks, y'know! :-)
How was the library intro seminar? Useful?

Sun Aug 28, 08:39:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home