Wednesday, September 14, 2005

The Stones!

I bought the new Stones album off of iTunes after I read eight seperate good reviews and heard another one on NPR. Oh, my god: it actually doesn't suck. This may be their first consistently non-sucky album of original material (since 1981's Tattoo You was outtakes) since Some Girls in 1978. They sound like they actually care and aren't mailing in a performance so they can get richer off the ensuing tour: Mick's vocals sound better than they have since I was crapping myself and Jimmy Carter was President; Keith and Ronnie and Charlie (who, it must be said, never sucked even when the rest of the band did) sound like they're jamming in somebody's basement--you know, like a rock n' roll band and not a dull corporate megolith, like they have for ten-or-so straight albums with the exception of a few decent tracks on the otherwise sucky Voodoo Lounge. They've somehow managed to shake off the glitzy, polystyrene overproduction that has poisoned two decades of their musical efforts and managed to sound like they're having fun again. It's blowing my mind. It's not just a good Stones album, which means a better-than-average effort by a washed up bunch of geezers: it's a plain good album, as in it would be a good debut album for a band starting today. It's as if somebody kidnapped those bored old men who still put on a great show and replaced them with actual musicians. There's funk and blues and fighting and fucking and cursing and drinking, you know, the Stones before they decided that selling celebrity was a lot easier than making good music.

Go check it out. Really. I wouldn't lie to you.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Of course they're the same guy . . .

I've never understood the big deal about the Stones. But I'll be damned if I didn't sit back and listen to the whatever song is on the radio and thing "Holy crapy, this song rocks."

Wed Sep 14, 08:26:00 PM EDT  
Blogger JPS said...

The double post to Gas Guy was a drunken technical error, but oh, what the hell, I've been hinting at the truth for months and so somebody was bound to pick up on it sooner or later. Lots o' moleskin points to Sarah for being the first one to put two and two together.

Amazing what changing a profile age by three years and its location by 649 miles on I40, plus visiting other blogs using two different names and two seperate email accounts can do to snow people. Just nobody bust me out over there, please? The Tennessee press has given me a little bit of attention, and as I'm not ready to let them know the deal just yet.

Evil Jeremy, aka...

Thu Sep 15, 02:22:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Jason said...

EJ- I would put the kabosh on your Gas Guy links to the ABA. I won't take offense.

Thu Sep 15, 08:02:00 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home