Saturday, February 11, 2006

Addendum to NYR, 23/b4.

I seem to keep forgetting to remember, or something like that, to post "hey, I'm still alive," type posts while in the midst of large, ugly academic projects that take up my blogging time. So hey, I'm still alive, having failed utterly since the last post to die in a fiery plane crash, OD, or be killed by a disgruntled J.D. Salinger fan. My blogging absence would certainly be more interesting if one of those things had happened, but no. I am in fact just lazy and very, very busy.

I'm off, now, to write a paper on Charlotte Bronte's Villette, which I put myself through in the span of three days (it's 715 pages long) in the hopes of gaining some miraculous insight into Victorian women's fiction. I certainly learned one thing well enough, and that's she wrote about a third of the goddamn thing in French, with the apparent understanding that everyone worth her time to write for would read the same. Charlotte, babe, I take exception. I liked your book, really I did, but I'd have liked it so much better if you'd have kept it in one motherfucking language. That's right, Charlotte: I am an English major, and if your treatise is going to find its way onto my comprehensive exam reading list, you could have at least written it in my native tongue.

Fucking Victorians. I swear.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer said...

I hear Babel Fish sucks to a sometimes hilarious degree. I vote we type in Bronte's French text, translate it into English, then reverse translate the English translation back to French, then translate once more into English. If nothing else it'll be as much fun as those Mad Libs we did in fourth grade.

Mon Feb 13, 07:12:00 PM EST  
Blogger JPS said...

Zilla,

If I had that kind of free time, I would be busy planning world conquest. I'd be happy to laugh at the results should you undertake translating it. Or maybe I'll take one of my student's essays and plug it in to see if I can translate that into English.

Claudia,

It's a pretty interesting book. Bronte was sick and dealing with the loss of both of her sisters when she wrote it, and Villette has a fascinating sort of fatalism about it that I liked (and our mom would hate).

Tue Feb 14, 03:17:00 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home