Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Day Ten: Reflections

Dear Juice Fast,

It's actually been pretty cool getting to know you. We got off on the wrong foot, it is true, and I though that I was going to hate you and possibly only stand you for a day or two, but like a proper shitty Hollywood comedy, we made our differences work to great hilarity.

In any case, here I am at day ten, and although the juice diet has let me drop between eight and 10 pounds while still feeling all right about the world, it's time to let it go. I have no plans to abandon juicing altogether, as I've learned that it's a delicious and incredibly healthy way to have breakfast or a light lunch, but  I like eating dinner, and, come to mention it, I like eating fruits and vegetables as well, and not just drinking them.

So here is what I'd like the diet going forward to look like: grapefruit and other miscellaneous juice in the morning along with rye toast topped with diced tomatoes and perhaps a little salt and olive oil, three to four days a week. Other days: Rice Chex with soy milk, at least until we're out of it.

Lunches: Salads with mixed greens or baby spinach, carrots, mushrooms, tomatoes, artichoke hearts, and one can of white tuna on days when we're not having fish or shellfish for dinner; tomato and greens juice or plantain and soy milk smoothies on other days.

Dinner: Whatever Rachel feels like making, with an emphasis on beans and pasta with veggie sauces.

I'm still trying to figure out if I can walk to school (five miles) every day and have that work with out overall household schedule. It would be, hands, down, the easiest way to integrate daily long-distance walking into my routine. Setting aside free time for these things is difficult and annoying, which means, in practice, likely to fail.

In any case, and without further ado: day ten...

9:00 am: Eight ounces of pomegranate juice from a bottle (yuck) to wash down the 800mg of ibuprofen.

3:00 pm: Following a ten-mile walk (to and from UNCW), about 20 ounces of grapefruit, strawberry, cranberry, red grape and tangerine.

9:00 pm: Following three-mile walk with Rachel and the dogs, had quart of juice: mustard greens (better than I was expecting), romas, mixed salad greens. This is the last obligatory meal of the juice fast, but I may keep going until dinner tomorrow. We'll see how I feel when I wake up.

Totals: days, 10 (!); miles, 122 (!). Both goals reached successfully.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home